At its Sept. 24, 2019 meeting, the San Marcos City Council voted unanimously to approve authorization to award Sema Construction to serve as the primary construction contractor for the San Marcos Creek Project. The project, once complete, will minimize flooding risks, preserve and enhance creek habitat, and build a new park and trails. The project will also provide critical infrastructure needed to support future growth in the area.
Following this approval, the City of San Marcos project team will continue community outreach about the project, finalize the construction timeline, mobilize the construction team and start active construction in early 2020.
“We are pleased to move forward with a project that will solve a long-standing issue and provide tremendous value to the community in the future. At the same time, we understand that construction in one of our core areas will cause temporary inconvenience,” said City of San Marcos Project Manager Isaac Etchamendy. “The City is committed to being a good neighbor and proactively communicating with residents throughout construction.”
Project Features and Amenities
- Raised roadway and new bridges over the San Marcos creek along Bent Avenue and Via Vera Cruz to reduce flooding and enhance safety
- Widened Discovery Street to four lanes with a bike lane on the south side
- Additional sidewalks and bike facilities
- New community park with spaces and trails for recreation and relaxation
- Restoration and preservation of 1.5 miles of creek habitat
- Preliminary construction, including moving equipment to the site, will begin late 2019.
- Active construction is tentatively planned to start early 2020 and is expected to take up to two years to complete.
- Construction hours will be Monday through Friday, from 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Those who live in the area or visit the surrounding neighborhoods will notice construction-related noise, increased construction vehicle traffic, detours and lane and road closures during construction.
The City will host a community meeting about the project and upcoming construction on Tuesday, Oct. 29, from 6-8 p.m. at the San Marcos Community Center at 3 Civic Center Drive in San Marcos.
In addition to the community meeting, the City will provide updates to the public throughout construction in the following ways:
- Website: Visit www.san-marcos.net/creek for project information.
- Text updates: Text SMCreek to 484848 to sign up for text updates.
- Project hotline: Call 877-SMCREEK with any questions and a team member will respond within 48 hours.
- Email: Email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions or requests and a team member will respond within 48 hours.
The San Marcos Creek project is consistent with the San Marcos General Plan, which is the City’s guiding document for achieving the community vision for the future. The project amenities are guided by the principles of the San Marcos Creek District Specific Plan, originally approved by the San Marcos City Council in 2007.
Para información y actualizaciones en español, por favor visite la página de la ciudad: www.san-marcos.net/arroyo.