The City of Carlsbad is seeking applications to fill resident and at-large positions on a public advisory group recently authorized to help update the city’s “Housing Element.” The Housing Element is a plan for how the city will accommodate its housing needs. All California cities are required to have a plan and update it every eight years.
Applications for these volunteer positions are available on the city’s website or in the City Clerk’s Office, 1200 Carlsbad Village Drive. Applications must be submitted to the City Clerk’s Office by noon on Friday, Nov. 8, 2019.
The nine-member, “Housing Element Advisory Committee” will consist of four representatives from existing city commissions, one resident from each city quadrant, and one at-large member. All committee members must be city residents and registered voters. Details about member selection and appointment are:
- Each City Council member will recommend one member to represent one of the four quadrants of the city (the city is often split into four areas for planning purposes. The four quadrants – northwest, northeast, southwest and southeast, are defined by the intersection of El Camino Real and Palomar Airport Road). City Council members will be assigned quadrants at random for the purpose of making a recommendation.
- One member “at large” recommended by the mayor.
- The Housing, Planning, Senior, and Traffic and Mobility commissions will each nominate one of their members to serve.
- The full City Council will make the final decision on all nominations and appointment recommendations.
Housing Element Advisory Committee Information
- Applications for committee membership (resident and at-large positions) are available now. To apply, complete the application form on the City Clerk’s website and submit it by noon on Friday, Nov. 8.
- The committee is expected to start its work in January 2020 and conclude by the end of that year.
- Committee meetings are expected to occur once a month in the evenings. More frequent meetings may be necessary.
- All meetings will be open to the public with community participation encouraged.
- Staff would present committee recommendations to the City Council in fall 2020.
- Based on the City Council’s direction, staff would then prepare a final, updated Housing Element for public hearing consideration and adoption in early 2021.
About the Housing Element
The Housing Element is a state-mandated element of the General Plan and the only element to require state review and approval. By law, the city must approve an updated Housing Element for the 2021-2029 planning period by April 15, 2021. The element looks at current and future housing needs for all city residents and the constraints that exist in meeting those needs. With that information, the element lays out a plan and strategy for meeting those needs over the eight-year planning period.
The Housing Element must accommodate new housing growth projections developed by the state through the San Diego Association of Governments, an effort known as the Regional Housing Needs Assessment. Accommodating these projections will be a significant component of the update process and must be considered in light of the city’s Growth Management Program.
- Notice of Housing Element Advisory Committee Vacancies
- Sept. 10, 2019 City Council staff report on the Housing Element update, including the approved work plan and committee charter
- Growth Management Program information
- General Plan, including the city’s currently adopted Housing Element
- Aug. 20, 2019 City Council staff report on the Regional Housing Needs Assessment
- For questions about the application and appointment process: Sheila Cobian, city clerk services manager, email@example.com or 760-434-2917
For questions about the Housing Element: Scott Donnell, senior planner, firstname.lastname@example.org 760-602-4618