The City of Carlsbad Police Department would like to partner with North County residents to ensure a safe and secure Halloween. Here are some tips:
- Plan a Halloween party instead of trick-or-treating—or attend a community event
- Chose comfortable costumes and shoes that do not restrict movement
- Avoid dark-colored costumes
- Use make-up rather than a mask
- Make sure costumes are fire proof or treated with fire retardant
- Use reflective fabric or tape to improve visibility
- Talk to your kids about a safe trick-or-treat route and walk it in advance.
- Talk to kids about good community behavior the consequences of vandalism and other neighborhood pranks
- Turn on exterior lights and remove objects that could cause tripping
- Avoid trick-or-treating alone – stay with an adult and in groups
- Remind kids to steer clear of strangers or people they do not know well
- Start early in the evening and stay in areas that are familiar
- Carry a flashlight or a light stick and a cell phone
- Stay in well-lit areas
- Walk on sidewalks and cross at corners or lights; do not cross mid-block
- While driving, be on the lookout for pedestrians
- Avoid dark areas and houses. If the porch light is off, don’t go to that house.
- NEVER enter a home without parental permission, even if in a group
- Inspect all Halloween treats before eating them. Eat only treats that are sealed and/or in original packaging
- Be the eyes and ears of your area.
Immediately report suspicious activity your local Police Department and for emergencies, call 9-1-1